Monday, June 18, 2012

A Return!

Well, I've decided to try and enter the blogging world again. As is evidenced by the over a year ago post... I'm pretty bad at blogging. A lot has happened, we moved to Oklahoma, I got pregnant with Amelia, we moved back to Utah before Josh deployed. I had Amelia and Josh's deployment got cut short and he was able to be home sooner and started on a second degree in Criminal Justice. Addisen turned 3 and a ton of other big and small things in between. I'm not going to write all about those months now, though I hope I go back to a few things and write about them eventually. 

I will write a quick update on the fam before I get into the meat and potatoes of what I want to for this post.

Addisen has gotten into a very confrontational phase lately. She always has to be first, say what she wants to say and do what she wants to do. It's been a struggle (we had a very embarrassing episode at the library a week ago that will probably keep me from going back for a bit =/). We're working on her communicating better with us and trying to explain that while she's getting bigger she's still small. (Us telling her she's still little is one thing that usually sets her off if we're not careful.) She also has been learning her strength lately and we've had to talk frequently about being soft and careful with others and NOT shoving. Not sure where she learned that one, but I don't like it one bit. I was pretty proud of her today though. Another little girl wanted the swing she was trying to climb into and was actually being pretty mean to Addisen- slapping and pushing her face, stomping on her foot, pinching and pulling her hair. All of this happened in a matter of moments, I was feeding the baby and couldn't get over there and had to resort to just trying to get Addisen to me by calling for her. Well, to my relief Addisen didn't do a THING back to her! I didn't like she'd been treated that way, but it could have been sooo much worse, this girl was at least 4 inches shorter and at least 15 pounds lighter than Addisen. Anyway, I guess the talks have sunk in a little, after some consoling and the other little girls mom coming over and making her apologize I was able to help Addisen swing for a bit.

Amelia has been having teeth moving up and down since 4 months... which has been soo much fun, but she's been pretty good about it. I think we'll actually see some teeth in the next few weeks. She's also getting really mobile and rolls and wiggles all over to get thing she wants. She's cute and will be playing for awhile up on her hands and then just lay down on them and have a rest for a few minutes. She's also started to actually enjoy the jumper and will play and giggle in there for a long time, especially if Addisen will come play with her, which she frequently does. We've been giving her solids for almost 2 months too and she LOVES bananas and bananas mixed with anything else. If we're eating and we don't have something for her, she will try and steal anything she can that is around her to eat. She hates being alone and away from people. If she wakes up in the other room alone we'll often find her with a huge puddle of tears by her in a matter of moments. She can seriously make faces that almost break your heart. She is also a daddies girl and a enormous flirt with any male figures around. She is an all around happy kid, as long as she isn't alone.

Okay, I'm going to skip Josh and I for now, since this is turning into the monster of all posts Soooo...For this post I just want to share what projects I've been doing the last few months.  and have a few in the works, so here goes to those of you who read this when I actually put something up! =]

Back in March, I decided I'd try my hand at sewing some Easter dresses for my girls since Josh let me buy a new sewing machine for clothing repairs. I'm not a big pattern person, and I usually end up having to call one my sisters to help me sort out the mess I've made of whatever it is I'm making, but this time I didn't! I followed this tutorial and this pattern for how to cut things out and make sleeves (something that intimidates me.)  But the following the results of a practice dress.

Addisen's Strawberry Shortcake Dress

 We found the fabric on clearance at Wal-Mart for $1.50 a yard, and Addisen loved the strawberries so I figured it would be a good thing to practice with before using the fabric I had for the Easter dresses. Then I bit the bullet and sewed the dresses. Addisen's turned out great the first time, but I had to make two for Amelia because the first one fit... but it was snug so I add several extra inches so it would be easier to get off and on her little baby arms.
I love the detailing stitches my new machine comes with too. I had fun with that. I also decided to make hair flowers and a skirt for myself by following this Flower and this skirt tutorial. I think they turned out great!

 Here a few other Easter and Spring Crafts we did as well.
DumDum bunny
Addisen picked the eyes herself

Addisen with her DumDum Rabbit we made with Cousins
 I mad this after looking at this. But I made the decorations removable and have a Summer set I'm just finishing the decorations to put on. I'll have to post another picture when I get it all done.
Seasonal Wreath







 I've also been making these quick and cute ric rac rings


 I've also been trying some new recipes out on Josh

Root Beer Float Cookies found here
Mine turned out a lot smaller and taller than the picture on the tutorial blog. We also decided the cookie was a little eh, and if I made it again it needed some tweaking, but the frosting was fun and tasty and would be good on a regular sugar cookie.

Then we visited Josh's family and I tried my hand at these Molasses-Glazed Baby Back Ribs, well ribs at all, for the first time. We could only find rib meat instead of ribs, but I don't think that affected the flavor. I didn't prepare ahead of time, so they didn't get to marinate and get all tender like they should have but it was good eatin' none the less.
All done!
Close up to show all the spices and goodness.
After all was said and done, I think I'd like to try these with a little less cayenne pepper, they were too spicy for Addisen's tastes. Josh also said he'd like to try a prepared bbq sauce instead of the homemade one, but I liked that flavor myself.

I also made some quick peanut butter chocolate chips cookies that night from a cake mix. Again a recipe I found online, here.  They turned out tasty, but next time I plan to combine the mix, eggs and milk first and then add the peanut butter. It got to thick and gummy mixing it when I just dumped it all in at once.


I also tried this recipe just this past week (sorry I forgot pictures). It was really good, but I'm a peanut butter fan. The cookies were good by themselves and we didn't make them into the sandwiches the recipe said to, just put the frosting on top. My non-peanut butter loving tasters said that the frosting made it a bit rich for them and they would have liked a drink of milk with them. (We were out and about waiting for some fireworks to start so no such luck.) I really liked the peanut butter frosting and think I'll try it on chocolate cupcakes some time.

And finally, in honor of Father's Day this last week me and the girls made some cards for our grandpas and dad after I saw this and really liked the idea.



 They were quick and easy to make and Josh loved his (I think ^_^).

Well, those are the project updates and updates for now, and if you've hung in there until this, thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you've been busy! Keep it up...'cause I sure am not in the cooking mood lately. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh look how fun!! You are so talented and your girls are so cute!!!!

    Love the wreath too, and looking at the food made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete