Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Floods and Olympic Fails

We've been doing tons of fun stuff since my last post, but that isn't what this is about. This post was mostly going to be about this HILARIOUS thing I saw during the Olympics last night, but the whole story ended up needing to be told I guess... Anyway...here goes.

Yesterday was a fun filled day with cousins. We went to the last Kids Summer Movie movie, ate lunch at the Lunch Program in the Park, then went out and played with all the cousins at Aunt B's house.

We were headed back home in the great rain storm when we saw how flooded the creek was so we rushed home, grabbed my camera and rushed back. I took a few shots, Addisen took a few shots, then she freaked out because of getting wet (even though she'd been playing in it and a giant puddle out at the aunt's house, go figure) Anyway I put her back in the car with Amelia and stood out in the rain by myself taking a few more shots. I know you should never leave your children alone in the car, so Fail 1 I guess, but it was amazing. Wish I could have recorded the sound!

You could actually hear these boulders and rocks being thrown around in the muddy water. It was crazy. and really cool to see and hear. One guy that lives in my neighborhood and has lived here forever said he hasn't seen it like this for at least 7 years, when they first renovated the bridge and put in all the rocks to help keep it from washing out. He said the boulders being moved were at least the sizes you can see in the pictures under the bridge, if not bigger, and that tons of them would have to be replaced when this was all over. There were full trees floating in this stuff! Really cool.


Addisen took this one. She is my kid. ^_^
Up the Canyon
Addisen told me after that she was really tired, so for the few short minutes it took to finish driving home, I told her she could go to sleep. I should mention, Addisen has NEVER been a napper. Even when she was little, I was lucky if she'd let me rock her to sleep for maybe an 30 minute nap. When she was completely crash out tired, she might fall asleep in the car, but she rarely if EVER willingly goes down for a nap on her own. I remember the first time she fell asleep, all on her own, on the living room floor. I took pictures I was so shocked she's actually let herself go to sleep. Anyway, I digress...

So I tell her go to sleep, it's about 8pm anyway, so I figure, she's really tired, maybe, just maybe she'll just stay asleep for the night. I know better, but I thought this one time she'd prove me wrong. She didn't. I fought Amelia to go to sleep and she finally settled in just before 10pm. It felt like no sooner had Amelia fallen asleep, Addisen was up.

At first she just wanted a drink and to go to the bathroom. Great! Yeah... that lasted five minutes, maybe.

Then she wanted a snack, done. Then she just wanted to go back to bed. GREAT! I told her to brush her teeth since she was awake, which she did, then went and put her pjs on (she'd been in her clothes before this since I didn't make her change before she fell asleep the first time).

I think all is quiet on the home front and I'm going to get to finish watching the Women's Gymnastics Team final and go to bed (more on this in a minute promise!). Nope. She'd been quiet for FIFTEEN MINUTES, so I was sure she'd been so tired she just went back to sleep. Wrong.

So, then it was just one thing after another. She hated the thunder. She wanted to be by me. She wanted in her bed and me by her. She wanted back out in the living room where I was. She wanted to read books. She wanted to read books in the living room. She needed to go to the bathroom. She needed another tiny drink. On and on. Finally, I gave up and let her lay on the couch with her pillow and blanket hoping she would just crash by me again and I could haul her into her room. NOPE!

So, I won't say how late it got, but I will say the finals were over, they had showed the finals for some men's swimming and an interview with the gold medal winning women's gymnastics team before I finally had had enough and sent her back to her room, no more excuses,  where she FINALLY went to sleep.

Okay, so as for the hilarious thing. It happened during the aforementioned women's finals. I was watching and all of the sudden, I see some dude in the background of a close up shot of one of the gymnasts, picking his nose. I mean really picking it. It required the use of two fingers. I'm pretty sure he saw himself on some screen doing it, and that didn't even stop him. The camera man finally seemed to notice after a few seconds and tried to adjust his zoom so as to blur him out and they could stay on the gymnast they were talking about who was waiting for her turn. Then they had the good sense to just change the camera angle.


I had a good laugh. Lamented that I am an open air TV watcher (meaning I have a converter box and bunny ears) and no type of rewind or TIVO as so many people have these days, so I could catch it. Well after the struggle to get Addisen asleep, I felt tired, but unfortunately awake. And since I'd had a wakeful night like this a few days before, I knew from experience they would be running the same loop of Olympic competition they showed during prime time, again. So, I had a chance to catch the nose picking again. Sooo... with no more further pomp, I give you Olympics Nose Picker Guy!

 It was worth staying up for, in my opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment