I know I'm a day late, or
well two now, since the clock rolled over as I typed, but I wanted to
share. I will NEVER forget where I was when it was all happening. I
lived and still live in the mid-west/west, and my family never had a TV
going while we ate breakfast, so the first I heard anything was when I
got to school. I was a junior. As I stashed my stuff in my locker one of
my best friends Vincent came up to me, visibly upset. He is a pretty
calm and collected guy, so I knew something was wrong. The conversation went something like this, "Did you see the
news this morning?" I shook my head, "Two planes flew into the twin
towers." At my quizzical look he said, "The tallest buildings in the
world and main trade buildings in New York?"
Then it struck me. My best friend, Amanda, who had a locker by me, her
boyfriend McLain and our friend Joel all walked up at that point,
hearing what he'd said and McLain said he'd seen it on the TV that
morning too.
At that point, the bell rang. That day, all juniors were excused from
class. We were excused so we could go down to the Middle School
Cafeteria and take... our ASVAB tests. I'll never forget how I felt as I
was ushered into that Cafeteria and we were all trying to talk about
what had happened and what people that were running late had heard on
the radio or seen on the TV.
I'll never forget being pulled apart from most of my friends and
escorted to a seat at a big round table and being told, repeatedly to
Shut up by our retired military Drill Sergent who was administering the
ASVAB. I won't forget finishing the test, or how I got told to shut up,
when I raised my hand like I was supposed to, to request to go to the
bathroom. They almost didn't let me go, but finally, one of the men
escorted me into the tech building next door and waited outside the door
while I peed, so he could make sure I wasn't cheating.
I'll never forget finally being excused, and hearing people laughing and
joking about the attack, like it was all some big practical joke. I
won't forget how when we met up with McLain and Joel for our last class
of Choir together, they told us how they had been told all day, the tv's
would remain off. That despite the fact that our school had an
experimental contract of some sort with a cable company, no teacher had
decided or perhaps been allowed to turn the news on. How they had left
their college study class since the internet was too jammed up to
broadcast their class, snuck off campus and had gone to McLain's house
and watched all they could, so they could come back and tell all of us.
I will never forget my Choir director talking to all of us, then slowly
walking over and trying to turn the TV on to the news. (For some reason it didn't work) Or how he told us he was excusing us
if we wanted to leave early, even though he knew he wasn't allowed to
do any of this. I remember one girl collapsed into her friends lap
sobbing.
I remember being angry and sad and afraid when I got home and my mom was
glued to the TV in the middle of the day, which never happened.
Watching it all and wondering what would happen to my brother who was
supposed to be coming back from Brazil in a few short weeks.
I wrote the following in my journal that night.
" 9/11/01 Page no. 135- I will never forget this day. Today 4 American
planes were hijacked - 2 of them crashed into the World Trade towers,
causing them to later collapse and kill 100's to 1000's of people.
Another one crashed into the Pentagon, killing they believe around 800
people- the fourth plane was, they believe, headed for Camp David but
crashed prematurely. I still can't believe it is all real, it seems that
it is a dream I should be waking up from, a nightmare really. They
don't know at this time who is behind the attacks but all air travel has
been grounded. People in Pakistan are celebrating while we mourn for
the loss of thousands. People reported seeing people jump from what they
thought was around the 90th floor windows- knowing they would die
anyway and then moments later - the building collapsed. 200 Fire
fighters that went to fight the blazes are now missing and most
presumably dead since the buildings collapsed several minutes after they
entered the building - Smoke and debris clouds continue to loom in NYC
as other buildings continue to burn. 266 people died on the 4 planes -
in pictures shown, you can see no plane parts. 2 people have been
removed from the ruble of the towers and there is said to be people
trapped in the ruble that are calling from cell phones to receive help-
One man go out of tower 2 seconds before it collapsed leaving all his
friends in the building. The President of the United States as well as
the President of the Church both spoke today - I cried. Yet people in
NYC were seen to continue to shop after the buildings were hit, it
sickens me. I feel scared for the future, scared for the threat of war
if we find those responsible that are still alive. President Bush said
"Today we were attacked by a faceless coward." I think that is true.
Many people are comparing this to Pearl Harbor. I believe this day too
will live in infamy. I am tired and sad, and angry, and hurt and I feel
hollow inside and cheated somehow. I feel sorrow for those who's loved
ones they will never see again. My sense of security has been breached
and altered and exposed. People that aren't upset about this make me
sick. I know we, and I, have to go on as usual, but I can't. My
perspective has been changed. Life has changed. I weep for my nation and
pray for a better day tomorrow, a day of peace! Life has changed some
as I knew it. What I did while most of this was going on was sit in the
middle school cafeteria and take a stupid ASVAB test and have this
stupid retired Military guy tell me to shut up while I was taking the
test with the rest of the Jr. Class and tell them to shut up. And people
ignorantly went through the day talking of what we had heard was going
on and laughing and joking. Then going to my college chem class tonight
after seeing the news and wanting to be home and cry. I will never
forget today. People suffered and endured and cried and healed
themselves together today. Now we have to keep going for all the
tomorrows to come. Giving blood and services has been asked and
remaining calm as possible. Living, just living."
I grew up in a very patriotic household, knowing my grandfather had
served in WWII, and what had happened to him and his buddies around one
fateful 4th of July. Why he loved and hated the holiday. I grew up knowing how to care for and respect a
flag that was flown often. I grew up feeling pride that my dad had answered the call to
Vietnam, even if he never saw action. But I'm sad to say, because of
this day, it took a lot of years and a wonderful husband who is
dedicated to serving his country, to change my perspective of the
Military. I remember thinking, "Why are we doing this? This test doesn't
matter? What is happening in the world? Shouldn't you guys, of all
people, be watching the news or taking action or something? Is there
going to be another attack somewhere closer? What is going on!?"
I still hate how I was treated that day. I hate that no one thought we
were strong enough to know the truth and be allowed to watch it and
mourn together, until that final teacher. I hated feeling oppressed and
closed off from the world in that stupid cafeteria. I know they were
probably just doing their jobs, but I still hate it. While it renewed my
sense of how precious my freedom was, it also taught me a tough lesson
in complacency and oppression.
I too remember how for the next year or two after that, you could see
flags everywhere. There was a renewed sense of togetherness. I wish our
country really remembered. I wish and pray that we can smart enough to
buoy up the things that unite us, instead of focusing on the things that
divide us.
I live with this everyday. I wasn't there, but now more than ever, it
affects me. Every day I fear we will wake again to something of this
nature, and that this time, it won't be strangers. This time it won't be a
proud, but faceless, soldier heading off to do his duty, but my soldier.
No comments:
Post a Comment