Wednesday, November 17, 2010

“All things are difficult before they are easy.” -Thomas Fuller

Today, it would have been very easy to not write. I wasn't and perhaps still may not be, very thankful for today. Nothing catastrophic happened, it was just a hard day. My computer (mostly the mouse) was on the fritz. So I googled, and it was probably a virus so I spent the better part of the day running scans, cleaning up disk space, being frustrated. >.< Things seem to be running smoothly, and only a few "minor" intrusions were found, which only makes me nervous that there was/is something lurking in the bowls of memory in my computer. What are all those odd name and numbered files all over the place anyway? Why can't they be straightforward, "I run this program, don't delete me" "I am associated with this thing you shouldn't delete or your computer will die a slow and irritating death" You know, straight forward. *sigh* Such is not life. The truth of things is rarely pure, and never simple like we'd like. Anyway... I rant, on to the thanks!

Today, I am thankful for music. Despite all the stress of the computer and some other fist forming, trash can kicking, hair pulling stuff that happened today, there is music. I have my preferences as to what I like. There is some stuff out there people claim is music, that I think is just gross and weird noise that I can't imagine makes anyone feel anything but a head ache, or in need of a hot shower to wash away, but to each his own... I guess. For me, I can't think of a better way to express some feelings, release some emotions, than in the rise and fall of sound in the air. 

Today in particular, I've been listening to Katherine Jenkins. Never heard of her? I wouldn't be surprised. She is Welsh, young, beautiful and a ... mezzo-soprano, classical-popular crossover singer. Meaning, she sings Opera, or popular songs in an opera style. Particularly today, I have thoroughly enjoyed The Flower Duet. I've loved this song for forever. It is something they use in poignant moments in movies and commercials and such. The middle gets a little floaty, but the emotion, the power and the... flow. C'est très magnifique! (No, I don't really speak french, but I love that expression.) ((You should also listen to "Pachelbel's Canon" and "Down In The River To Pray" while I've got you listening to her stuff))

Music has a way of helping me settle, of grounding me or lifting me. Sometimes it is so hard to find the right song for the time, but lately I've found lots to fit the times I've needed. It's been a balm for the hard days and a celebration on the good days. I love to sing. I'm not the most gifted singer, but I love to sing. I haven't had much opportunity to sing lately, except in church, so I've tried to be grateful for each Hymn and not get too disappointed when there isn't an interlude song between speakers, or when the choir sings. It's nice to listen, but I love the feeling of the pressure in your throat and lungs as you hold a note or fill it with body. Sometimes I wonder if people can hear me all over the chapel, which makes me a little embarrassed, but then I remember that God delighteth in the song of the heart, and I sing louder. ^_^

Music is another thing that has reminded me how much my little girl is growing up, and to enjoy the small things while they last. She has recently been attached to the Little Mermaid and has been walking around singing "Part of Your World" or as she says "part of beautiful world," and tossing her head back and singing with all her might. I LOVE it! It also makes it easier to love her when she dumps cereal all over the living room carpet first thing in the morning when I vacuumed just after dinner last night. I wish everyone could hear her sing, it is hilarious and beautiful all at the same time. I try and be tricky to record her, and have caught her once, but most of the time she sees the camera and wants to just flirt with the flip screen turned around so she can see herself, or she gets shy and embarrassed. I'll tell you, there is nothing like it, and she's all mine (and her dad's too I guess ;] ).

So it was a hard day, and it would have been easier to be negative, to write only about the bad things or not at all, but music made it better. Like the quote says, "All things are difficult before they are easy." So...

Today I am thankful for music, that isn't just noise, that makes things feel better or just is. I definitely needed it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment