Tuesday, November 16, 2010

It's the Little things

So I fully intended to write a post for every day this month of things I was thankful for. Well, real life happened and here I am. Real life meaning, every day stuff on top of traveling, family activities and the seasonal weather. I was out of town for most of the last twelve days and relished in the activities I was able to participate in. I did take notes of things I was thankful for. So I'll make a list of things and maybe expound on a few of them since I have had some great experiences.

In no particular order I am thankful for: Babysitters, a loving mother, small and large miracles, being a passenger rather than a driver, great friends, warehouse shopping (with company), hot showers, vacuums, SLR's and timers, good and bad weather, generous family members, the temple, hand-me downs, books, and mp3 players.

So, it's a list. It isn't what I wanted it to be, and yes, some of them may seem ho-humm, but each of those things and some others have greatly blessed my life the last twelve days. I'll just elaborate a little bit. Lots of things are starting up or changing for me in these past and future months and I needed some peace. I knew I needed to attend the temple, but as the day came, things just kept getting in the way of me getting there. On that day, I knew there were powers out there against me and it had driven me to the point of defeat. Luckily, I have a quick thinking and caring mother, and some very generous adults and young women who stepped in exactly when I needed it. We got to go, I got some answers to questions I had, and a measure of peace I didn't know I was missing, but so desperately needed.

The next day we traveled up north for a large family gathering and were able to ride with my parents. I won't complain that I'm usually the driver when my little family goes places, I admit, I enjoy the control of being in the drivers seat. Sometimes though, it's nice to sit in the back seat read a magazine, take a nap, enjoy the scenery and generally relax. It was nice not to feel responsible to the road for awhile.

The family gathering was fun, I also got to see my best friend to boot. I volunteered to go do the shopping for the sister who's home we invaded, and my best friend went with me. When you're shopping to feed 60 people, it is always wise to take someone with you, especially when shopping at a bulk warehouse type store. I would have never made it out without her help. It was also nice to have a laughing conversation and just be with my best friend. We were fast, we were efficient, and we packed it in. Where some may have needed three carts, we handled it with two. It was great. I know, strange, but wonderful.

We were also able to take a family photo. We were missing just one of our ranks, but we were thinking of her and sending her good wishes. I am thankful for my camera. Two years ago this Christmas, my husband knocked my socks off by surprising me with a digital SLR. It has been loved and used ever since and it is times like this family gathering that I am extremely thankful for it. Instead of eight different cameras taking one or two or three pictures each, I get to use mine, because it is great, and because everyone loves me enough to let me be a little selfish in this. (Thank you family! It makes me feel wonderful that you trust me!)

It is a little hard to get the smallest kids to look at the camera with no one behind it, but it does flash and beep so that helps. Then we got quick shots of all of my siblings families. Everyone got some great shots (I still need to edit and send out so they can use them, on the tomorrow's to do list^_^). The only one that didn't get something that would really work was... you guessed it, ME! haha! (Addisen was in desperate need of a nap, so we got another family picture taken just a few days ago, with the help of a great sister-in-law, that turned out PERFECT! I adore it, it's going in my Christmas cards). Then there was lots of talking, eating, hugs, food, packing up, good byes, Christmas present exchanging, hand-me-down giving and then the strange feeling of silence and emptiness when everyone has parted.

It's always been bittersweet for me. I think I cling to our family gatherings more than some. I am the youngest sibling, so I grew up watching people leave. One by one my siblings left for college, some coming back for summers, then leaving, getting married and making new families of their own. I think I'm the only one, besides my oldest sister, to live alone with my parents, and she doesn't really get to count it because she was a baby at the time. My life was different as a teenager than my siblings. I'm glad of my spot in my family, but it wasn't easy watching everyone leave me behind. It wasn't and isn't easy when it's my turn to be the one to do the leaving either. I'm not sure how they all feel about the comings and goings, but for me, they seem to fill me up.

We're all unique and head strong and opinionated and we fight like all siblings and families do, but there is always love there too. This sense of love and concern and this togetherness that I can't really do justice with words, but makes my eyes sting to think of. We were lucky this year, two visits of this kind and so I'm going to store them up and hold on tight because in a little over a month, I'll take the record for moving the farthest from home (besides missionary brothers I suppose). I won't be the farthest and the longest duration of time for being gone, but to be so far from family, from everything and everyone I know is very intimidating. I keep telling myself it will be an adventure and I sincerely hope it is true.


So, I give thanks for all the little things that have blessed my life, and most assuredly I give thanks for the friends and family that I claim as mine.

1 comment: