After a long day (not this one in particular) of house work, chasing a wild child around that creates one disaster while I'm cleaning another up, of screaming and tantrums of needing a shower and a nap at the same time and then trying to decide what to make for dinner, there is nothing so satisfying as sitting down with your family at the end of the day and hearing the following words, "This tastes delicious!"
So today I am thankful for cookbooks. I have learned the value of a great recipe book. Whether it is Betty Crocker or the Ward cook book, there is something wonderful in knowing, if I do this, then mix that, stir that, heat it this high, mix this together now, let it set, beat it on high, and place in pan or oven, something good will come of it. I'm not saying I haven't had my share of disasters. Where I wasn't able to give the food the full attention it needed and something got missed, or over cooked, or turned out like syrup instead of pie (*sigh* I am determined to make a really great Pecan Pie for Thanksgiving this year!). But what I am saying is, I'm learning the rhythm of cooking, finally!
I am a baker at heart. I love being able to put all the ingredients in one, perhaps two bowls, mixing, then putting it on a cookie sheet or in a Pyrex and calling it done. Baking can be complicated, but usually not so much as cooking. Cooking is involved. It requires constant vigilance and knowing when you can set something aside if need too before doing a critical step, like combining taste and time sensitive ingredients, and not being able to help a child who has suddenly decided now is the best time to start playing with every thing in all the bathroom draws by combining their contents together.
I've come to understand and believe, cooking is an art. Not just a hey "look at me aren't I nice" kind though. Cooking is more like interactive art. It's more like learning to play a complicated instrument. There is timing, rhythm, feeling, and skill behind it. I'm still not a fabulous cook, I'm not sure I ever will be. But I hope one day to be able to feel comfortable in my cooking skills and so, for now I follow the road maps of cooking as carefully as I can, with as much attention as I can.
Today, I am glad for recipes and Cookbooks that contain them.
Cookbooks are a way of life for me, I cook for a living now and its seriously an amazing thing to be able to create something so remarkable from someone elses recipe and when you change the slightest thing the recipe becomes your own.
ReplyDeleteAnd if you can follow recipes your already on the road to becoming an amazing cook yourself.
-Sam-